Makes 8 tarts
INGREDIENTS (FOR THE PASTRY)
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup ice water
DIRECTIONS (FOR THE PASTRY)
- Make the dough for the crust first.
- Put the butter into a bowl and cut into small pieces.
- Coat the butter thoroughly with the flour, tossing it together.
- Using your fingers, smash the butter into flakes, until the butter is in 1/4” sized pieces.
- Add the water slowly and blend with a fork until the dough barely sticks together.
- Press into a ball, wrap in plastic and chill in the freezer for an hour or in the refrigerator for several hours.
INGREDIENTS (FOR THE FILLING)
- 4 apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- to brush on the pastry:
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
DIRECTIONS (FOR THE FILLING + MAKING THE TART)
- Peel the apples, remove the cores and cut them into thin wedges.
- Toss the apples with the lemon juice.
- Mix the spices and the sugar together.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the apple wedges.
- Let the apples sit in the butter on medium heat and then sprinkle the sugar over them.
- When they begin to brown, stir the apples gently to spread the sugar around.
- When the apples are tender, about 10 minutes, remove them from the heat.
To make the tarts:
- Divide the dough into eight pieces.
- Pat each piece into a round disk.
- Dust the counter with flour and roll out each disk of dough into a circle about 4” in diameter.
- Overlap 6-8 apple slices in the center of the dough and then fold the edges up over the filling.
- Drizzle a spoonful of the apple sauce from the pan over the apples.
- You should have a round tart with a hole in the middle so that you can see the apples.
- Mix 1/2 cup of milk with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Brush the pastry with the milk mixture and bake the tarts at 350°F for 15 minutes.