This slaw will keep tastes of summer lighting your kitchen all winter long. It can be a vegetarian entrée all by itself or paired with grilled chicken or shrimp.
- 6 cups cabbage, cut into ¼-inch ‘slaw’ pieces
- 3/4-cup Japanese turnips, sliced into thin rounds
- 1-cup carrots, julienned cut
- 1-cup Marconi or other sweet peppers, julienned cut
- 1-ea.Cilantro bunch, leaves removed from stems, coarsely chopped; reserve 1.4-cup aside as garnish
- 1 cupSalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
FOR SLAW VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 cup Olive or peanut oil
- 1/3 cup Rice wine vinegar (and if you like tart flavors, add more vinegar)
- ¼-cup Fresh lime juice
- 4 ea.Fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp.Fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp.Granulated white sugar (which is fine to omit if you so wish)
- To taste Red chili flakes
(Optional) Sriracha as garnish
(Optional) Grilled chicken thighs or breast, sliced or grilled whole shrimp
- Mix all of the vegetables and cilantro in a large bowl, and set the peanuts aside.
- Make the vinaigrette and correct flavor based on your preference for sweet or sharp.
- Toss the vegetables with vinaigrette to coat thoroughly and place on large platter to serve.
- Sprinkle peanuts and reserved cilantro atop slaw. Serve with grilled protein if desired.