Our family is a house divided: Tawse family adores a sweet winter squash and the Davis’ insist upon savory seasoning. Here are both using the same technique but different ingredients:
Baked Winter Squash (works for any variety including Carnivale, Acorn, and Delicata)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Halve the squash lengthwise, remove all seeds and place skin side down in casserole baking dish.
- Add ¼-inch water to baking dish.
- Place generous pats of butter (at least one tablespoon or more) in the cavity of each squash.
- Choose Tawse or Davis seasoning
- Tawse Recipe: add three tablespoons of either brown sugar or maple syrup to each squash cavity
- Davis Recipe: add three to four tablespoons of orange juice and sprinkle with dried or fresh thyme; salt and pepper to taste
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and crimp on sides. Bake squash for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes until squash is soft to touch and beginning to lightly brown.